Saturday, March 08, 2008

goodness

here is my march 3rd entry from the myspace blog - a follow-up to my last blog "unfortunate":

in a time when i thought for a moment that honesty and truth is scarcely found, someone has proven to me that there are people who still possess goodness and sincerity in them. if you read my last blog, you should be aware of the fact that i lost my phone in some random moment walking through downtown boston. that night, i came to grips with the reality that i probably would never see my phone again and that i ultimately could live without one if i needed to (since cell phones really are just luxury rather than necessity). so yesterday, you could imagine that i paid no mind to my lost cell phone.

and then markita called. i do not know who this woman was, i may never know. the only thing i know of her is that she called my roommates cell phone to inform me that she had found mine and would like to return it to me. it was a simple interaction with this woman - we gave her the name and address of our hotel, she dropped it off, we thanked her ecstatically, and that was it. when we returned to our hotel, the front desk handed us the phone, and i now have it right here in my pocket.

markita didn't have to go out of her way to return my phone, yet she did. on a sunday afternoon, probably her day off, she went downtown and made sure that my cell phone was returned to me. now, whether or you believe it or not, i truly believe that the goodness that is displayed by humans not only reflects the character of that person, but i believe that all good things ultimately reflect the good and the grace that comes from our Father in heaven. there really is no greater good than the force that would move a person to go out of their way for a complete stranger! and if not from the Creator, where would that force, that instinct that often times we forget to recognize, originate from? we blame God and ask Him why our trials and pain are present in our lives, yet we often fail to recognize Him and thank Him in even the smallest, minute moments of good.

so to markita, whoever you may be, i say thank you for no denying the form of godliness that you possess in you.

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power." 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home